Proper brushing is one of the most important factors for good dental health. Avoid toothpastes, and/or tooth polishes that are abrasive as they may damage young smiles by wearing away fragile enamel. It’s easy... make sure you buy toothpaste that is recommended by the American Dental Association. These toothpastes have undergone testing to insure they are safe.
Remember, children should spit thoroughly after brushing to avoid swallowing too much fluoride. If too much fluoride is ingested, a condition known as fluorosis can occur. If your child is too young or unable to spit out toothpaste, consider providing them with a fluoride free toothpaste, use no toothpaste, or only a “pea size” amount of toothpaste.